Scrum planning and estimates best practices
- Work together with stakeholders to estimate the product backlog to establish transparency and help reduce the change of potential conflicts around estimates.
- Ensure sufficient product backlog items are identified and confirmed before you start with the sprint planning. This will help to determine the correct scope of the project.
- Translate team and stakeholders objectives into clear sprint goals to ensure they are aligned and transparant.
- Use Planning Poker to make better estimates.
- Use 6-hours days leaving the remaining two hours each day for risk mitigation or unexpected events.
- Never stretch or cut sprint time because using specific timeframes is one of the key elements of the scrum approach.
- Reprioritize the work that needs to be done to meet the project goals.
- Use discussions during meetings as input for continuous improvement of the scrum project.
- The sprint planning meeting should take no longer and no shorter than four hours.